Thursday 8 September 2016

That was the summer that was...now for a new start

Oh dear, I'm not doing very well with my intention to write here every day am I! Just as well it is the beginning of the Autumn Term, a time when I always feel inspired, productive and geared up for new beginnings and projects. I still have huge hangovers from years in academia, as a pupil, then a degree and PhD student and a university lecturer and researcher. There is nothing more motivating than clean paper and fresh pens in September. One of our family highlights at the end of the school holiday is our annual stationary shop, complete with cafe coffee and cake. 

The last few weeks have been manic getting Wills ready for secondary school and school ready to receive him and all his medical complications. Now he is happily getting ready in the morning, enthusiastically doing his homework and, most importantly, making friends, I have had some space to think back over the summer and start making my own plans to make the most of the rest of the year.

It certainly wasn't the summer we had planned and hoped for. The assault happened right at the end of the school term and dominated the summer holidays completely really with the police interviews, sessions with victim support, not to mention the stress and anxieties that went with it all.   It was all pretty energy zapping and I do feel I was  zapped of energy that I should have been spending on having fun with the children. Plus, when you are a single parent family you don't have another adult to bounce the stresses off each other, and at times of course take it out on each other.  This means, unfortunately, big stresses are often shared and taken out between yourself and the children and there was a bit of that too. But amongst all that friendships have been strengthened and I have learned a great deal about myself.

Any big life event is a catalyst for change. This is the time of year to put new plans into action and I have always found running to be a time when I mull over ideas, develop plans and solve problems so, all in all, this is a fertile time in my life. Lots is happening. Lots to write about and share here and one of my major plans is to get back to my plans of writing daily here!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment